In the wide world of diets, nothing is more scorned than carbs. I understand way, many of them are nothing, but sugar. While there are good carbs, I have research the slow carb diet and pay attention to it to an extent. However, it will never work for me. I review beer, which is nothing if not a delicious carb soup. However, all the cereals you grew up with are now getting healthier. They have changed ads from “more chocolaty” and “even sweeter!” to “Whole Grain!” and “Fiber Added!” While the less healthy ones advertise “Vitamin D,” which actually comes from the milk, most have made an effort. Here are the 5 cereals that I can still eat!
1. Alpha-Bits – In the world of learning, nothing is more hilarious to me than the notion of food based learning. Whether alphabet soup or the games on cereal boxes, which I would rant on, but Strong Bad did it so well, I will leave it alone. However, I have never found a reason to learn with food. It was a joke that Peanuts made in the strip and in “It’s Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown” when Peppermint Patty give a book report on the cereal box, because reading a book would make her head fall off. However, the cereal, though silly in premise, is still satisfying. Lightly sweetened and slightly crunchy, the cereal holds up; and while they no longer offer marshmallow vowels, the cereal is still good. Just try not to sing Sesame Street while eating.
2. Berry Berry Kix – A victim of the variation explosion of the 1990s, Berry Berry Kix came out of R and D at Kix one fine day. When they first came out, the “berries” were shaped differently and bright in “flavor.” The generic berry citric acid flavor made it one of my favorite cereals. While Kix were almost salty, the Berry Berry version were lightly sweetened. However, for years, I thought they were gone. It was not until recently I rediscovered them as a domestic while shopping with the wife at a Target. Though more plain now, the ‘berries’ were just spheres and only mildly sweetened, again, the flavor was still satisfying. They make me purely happy.
3. Cinnamon Toast Crunch – In the great realm of kid snacks, there is little more delicious than peanut butter on graham crackers. Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Golden Grahams are the graham crackers of the cereal world. They are delicious and sweet. I love cinnamon toast anyway; a trick of any chef, there is nothing that is not improved by spices. The Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal is wonderful because the morning cinnamon toast or the afternoon graham snack should always warm your heart.
4. Smacks! – So, I know what you are thinking. Sugar Smacks have to be terrible for you. Well, they may have been and in fact may still be, however, there is nothing like them. The cloyingly sweet cereals back in the day, I cannot eat any more. I will still be nauseous for hours if I eat something to sweet; a horrible side effect of being older. However, since they changed the pure sugar crust with a honey crust, the cereal is amazing. It is nothing too sweet, the honey sweetness is delicious, but not overwhelming.
5. Cocoa Pebbles – While many of the cereals above flow through my cupboard, the treat is still Cocoa Pebbles. It…turns…the…milk…to…chocolate! I know right! However, they have made an effort to make it healthier. It is no longer chocolate syrup and much more subtle. The Chocolateness was satisfying and still good; that is why it is still on my shelf.